Gods are human, after all… is what I gathered via Marginal Revolution today. Surely, there must be winners and losers among the 33 (or is it 330) million Hindu deities – some rich and famous – some others, not so much…
This is what a (possibly wholly inaccurate) Wikipedia entry claims about the Tirumala Tirupati Devastanams (TTD), one of the richest temple trusts in the world.
- Donations given by devotees equal $2 mn every month
- Auctions of human hair fetched $25 mn in 2007
- Temple admission ticket sales fetched $25 mn in 2007
- Laddus sold for $10 mn in 2007
- TTD approved a budget of $500 mn for 2008